- RSS Channel Showcase 8130652
- RSS Channel Showcase 4822591
- RSS Channel Showcase 5051762
- RSS Channel Showcase 3503009
Articles on this Page
- 02/20/15--15:13: _More terminally ill...
- 03/09/15--10:55: _2015 a watershed ye...
- 03/29/15--10:26: _Background to law r...
- 04/17/15--14:45: _Right to choose to ...
- 07/08/15--11:40: _California law refo...
- 08/12/15--14:17: _New Mexico’s assist...
- 09/11/15--10:55: _Something strange a...
- 10/05/15--13:11: _California latest t...
- 01/11/16--12:30: _You can be there at...
- 07/20/16--10:54: _Physician-assisted ...
- 08/26/16--16:25: _Judge keeps in plac...
- 09/27/16--12:40: _Disgraceful lack of...
- 11/01/16--17:01: _Nation capital clos...
- 11/10/16--16:03: _Colorado passed doc...
- 03/22/17--09:53: _US Supreme Court ha...
- 09/19/17--15:45: _Oregon choice in dy...
- 09/24/17--20:06: _A New York musical ...
- 03/03/18--15:24: _After 20 years, Haw...
- 03/11/18--14:55: _Modify Oregon assis...
- 06/04/18--11:19: _Need to update the ...
- 03/09/15--10:55: 2015 a watershed year for assisted suicide
- 03/29/15--10:26: Background to law reform rush in 2015
- 04/17/15--14:45: Right to choose to die issue swings upward
- 07/08/15--11:40: California law reform on death with dignity fails once again
- 08/12/15--14:17: New Mexico’s assisted suicide ruling struck down
- 09/11/15--10:55: Something strange about the English and dying?
- 10/05/15--13:11: California latest to legalize physician-assisted suicide
- 01/11/16--12:30: You can be there at the end
- 11/01/16--17:01: Nation capital close to assisted dying law
- 11/10/16--16:03: Colorado passed doctor-assisted dying law – the 5th state
- 09/19/17--15:45: Oregon choice in dying law after 20 years
- 09/24/17--20:06: A New York musical celebrating choice in dying under Oregon law
- 03/03/18--15:24: After 20 years, Hawaii close to assisted dying law
- 06/04/18--11:19: Need to update the original Oregon law
Oregon Public Health Division reports: Oregon Death with Dignity Act 2014 As of February 2, 2015, prescriptions for lethal medications were written for 155 people during 2014 under the provisions of the DWDA, compared to 121 during 2013 At the time of this report, 105 people had died from ingesting the medications prescribed during 2014 […]
THE fight to legalise medical-assisted suicide for people who are terminally ill will take centre stage in the US this year, with bills filed in 20 states plus the District of Columbia. “I feel it’s a watershed year,” says Peg Sandeen, head of the non-profit Death with Dignity National Center, based in Portland, Oregon, which […]
TWO WOMEN PIONEERS MAKING THE DIFFERENCE Forty years ago today Jean Humphry used physician-assisted suicide to end her life at age 42. She was in an advanced stage of cancer metastasized from breast cancer two years earlier. She fought to live, had three chemotherapies, and good pain control from caring doctors. A few months earlier, […]
More than a dozen states, plus the District of Columbia, are considering physician-assisted dying legislation this year. The laws would allow mentally fit, terminally ill patients age 18 and older, whose doctors say they have six months or less to live, to request lethal drugs. The prescribing doctors need not be present when the fatal […]
California lawmakers on Tuesday dropped efforts to allow terminally ill patients to legally end their lives. The authors of the legislation that would allow doctors to prescribe life-ending drugs did not have enough support to get it through committees amid fierce religious opposition. Sponsors vowed to continue the fight. Aid-in-dying advocates had said they would […]
The New Mexico Court of Appeals has struck down a prior Bernalillo County District Court ruling that essentially allowed assisted suicide in the state. In a split decision, a majority of the court concluded “that aid in dying is not a fundamental liberty interest under the New Mexico Constitution.” A District Court judge previously ruled […]
The rejection by the London Parliament (11 Sept.2015) of another assisted dying bill by a vote of 330-118 is, by my count, the twelfth time this body has considered a choice in dying reform law. The first attempt was back in l936. All have been firmly voted down. That seven other states or nations have […]
Terminally ill Californians can now exercise their right to die with dignity. On Monday, Governor Jerry Brown signed the End of Life Option Act into law, just a few weeks after the state Assembly and Senate approved the bill in a special session. California is the fifth U.S. state to authorize aid in dying — […]
There is a fine and thoughtful cover article in the current February edition of the magazine MOTHER JONES. MY RIGHT TO DIE: Assisted suicide, My family, and Me by Kevin Drum It is now on bookstalls and at this web site http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/01/assisted-suicide-legalization-california-kevin-drum But it has one disappointing flaw in the last six paragraphs. Writer Drum […]
(Reuters Health) – Legalized euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide are mainly used by patients with cancer, but remain rare, according to a new analysis of such programs. In the last year alone, California has legalized physician-assisted suicide, Canada legalized both physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia, and Colombia performed its first legal euthanasia, said John Urwin, a study […]
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (Reuters) – A California judge on Friday refused to suspend a new state law allowing physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients, citing the need to protect them from pain, but he allowed a legal challenge to proceed. The mixed ruling portends a continued debate over the highly contested law in the first months […]
The Santa Cruz Sentinel reported 17 September 2016: Waiting for ‘the die medicine’ By Tracy Seipel, Bay Area News Group For 78-year-old Judy Dale, this wasn’t the way California’s new aid-in-dying law was supposed to work. The San Francisco grandmother, her body riddled with cancer, had hoped to die on her own terms when the […]
Washington D.C. Council on Tuesday gave initial approval to legislation that would allow physicians to prescribe fatal drugs to terminally ill residents in the city, making the District the sixth jurisdiction nationwide to allow the practice. It is the first predominantly black community to legalize so-called “death with dignity,” overcoming objections from some African American […]
Colorado passed a medical aid in dying measure 11/08/16 that will allow adults suffering from terminal illness to take life-ending, doctor-prescribed sleeping medication. The ballot initiative passed overwhelmingly, by a two-thirds, one-third split, according to unofficial returns. Supporters claimed victory an hour after polls closed in Colorado. There are now five states which have passed […]
Part of the Washington Post’s reporting 22 March 2017 on the senate hearings on whether to confirm Judge Neil Gorsuch to the US Supreme Court: Senator Diane Feinstein with Judge Gorsuch…. The two also discussed a book that Gorsuch wrote in which he opposed physician-assisted suicide, and said any taking of a human life was […]
Oregon’s Death With Dignity Act: Two Decades of Data By Tara Haelle Oregon’s Death With Dignity Act (DWDA), passed through a voter-approved ballot initiative in 1997, lays out strict requirements for patients interested in requesting a prescription from their physician that would enable the patient to end to his or her life. In the 20 […]
AN INVITATION A Broadway Bound Musical – Death with Dignity Inspired Duke Theater 229 42nd St, New York NY 10036 Goodbye New York’s first performance is on 10/5 at 7pm and tickets are now available at: https://tickets.dukeon42.org/single/PSDetail.aspx?psn=8960 Can also follow on: Facebook page – Goodbye New York: A New Musical https://www.facebook.com/GoodbyeNYMusical/ Instagram – @goodbyenewyorkmusical 10/5 […]
The Hawai‘i House Committees on Health and Human Services and on Judiciary PASSED a Death with Dignity bill, sending it to the full House of Representatives for a vote, likely on March 5. It wasn’t even close: the 4-1 and 7-1 votes, respectively, in favor of HB 2739, Our Care, Our Choice Act, show the […]
This article in The Washington Post on 11 March 2018 is the opening gambit in an important campaign to make doctor-assisted-dying more widely available. I have always supported such changes:- In Oregon, pushing to give patients with degenerative diseases the right to die by Rob Kuznia, Washington Post LOS ANGELES — Shortly after she was […]
A MEETING WORTH ATTENDING If you happen to be within easy reach of the pleasant Oregon seaside town of FLORENCE this coming Sunday (10 June), around lunchtime, you could pop into the local library and hear what changes need to be made to the OREGON DEATH WITH DIGNITY ACT, which became law in 1998 I […]